Friday, May 9, 2008

SCIENCE FICTION



DRAGONFLIGHT - Anne McCaffrey

Dragonflight was actually my second attempt at a science fiction book. Originally, I read about 50 pages of Dune by Frank Herbert, a book that I had always wanted to read. Unfortunately, it was so confusing that I could not concentrate on reading it with my scattered reading schedule.

I found Dragonflight through Genreflecting. I’m still a little confused about why it is considered a science fiction novel versus fantasy, but definitely believe it could go either way. I think the main factor that places it among sci-fi over fantasy is that within the time travel, the characters go into the past as well as into the future. From what I have read, it appears that fantasy generally focuses on the past and sci-fi focus on things that could be... There is also some aspect of biological warfare that requires some abstract form of technology to get rid of, although it is not explained very well.

As far as the story goes, there were aspects of it that I really liked, but in creating this world, I feel that the characters are not very likeable. Set in the world of Pern, Lessa is heir to the Weyrwoman throne at Ruatha Hold. Her and her dragon are in charge of bringing back the power the dragon riders use to have. This becomes necessary when the world is showered with Threads that have potential for destroying Pern.

There are some 20 books in this series. McCaffrey is quite a prolific writer, and has written numerous other series.

Other similar books that might be interesting:

The Darkover series by Marion Zimmer Bradley.

This sounds good for several reasons: Bradley tends to focus on strong female heroines. She writes lengthy series, so you're able to stay with her characters for a long time. Bradley's The Mists of Avalon was a fantastic Arthurian fantasy and I bet her other books are good too.

The Host: a novel by Stephanie Meyer
Meyer's first adult novel - earth has been invaded, humanity is at stake and Melanie Stryder's body is invaded by another force. Melanie still yearns over her human love - Jared. Now three minds are involved in this love triangle of the future.

No comments: