Friday, May 9, 2008

CONTEMPORARY LITERARY FICTION


TRAVELS IN THE SCRIPTORIUM - Paul Auster

I chose this title because it was from a contemporary author and was considered “literary.” Unfortunately there is not much in this book that I find appealing. I think there’s a big difference between the stark abstract and good writing. In this novel, Auster is trying way too hard to be considered...something, I’m still not sure. I thought it was a complete waste of time and I was mad after I finished it that I spent time reading it. I think one of the things I value most out a novel is either good writing or an enticing story. This had neither.

The only appeal factor that was beneficial at all is that it’s considered literary fiction. Check out my full review of Travels in the Scriptorium on my other blog.

Some other books of this style would be:

The Trial, Franz Kafka
Company, Samuel Beckett
The Double (Doppelangelganger), Greg Boyd

I’ve read The Trial and found it equally mind boggling. While I understand the concepts that Kafka is trying to show, it just wasn't that enjoyable to read. Samuel Beckett is also a well known modernist writer whose work might be interesting. The final title sounds cool because it includes a doppelganger and reminds me of when I read Equus in college.

No comments: